This blog is dedicated strictly to hardcore and punk music. I post band's that I truly believe in and support. You should support these bands 100% as well, if you hear something you like. For fuck sake, go to a show, and buy merch.

3/8/10

Here Comes the Hurricane Interview!

1- Who are you and what do you play in the band?

Wadup baby, the name is Filion and I kinda sing in Here Comes the Hurricane

2- This is a question I intend to stick by as a starter. So in your opinion,
What is hardcore? And what has it done for you?

When I started listening to hardcore music 10 years ago, it was all about friends and unity. At first sight I thought it was a weird movement but then it kind of grew on me. Back when I started listening to hardcore, I was listening to bands such as A Death for Every Sin, In Dying Days, who were both popular in Montréal at the time, then found myself opening to bands like IRE, Morning Again, Converge, Trial, Buried Alive, Strong Arm, Mushmouth, Another Victim, Cave In etc. At the time I was 16 years old and I was pretty stoked about the whole experience, meeting new friends, and also started to travel to see shows and shit. It was good time, I grew up in the hardcore scene, and nowadays its different from what it was back then, however change is not really a bad thing, as now a days you have bands not only touring North America, but all over the world creating a worldwide movement for hardcore music.

3- Since hardcore is a very message sending scene, how do you try to do your part in sending a positive message to the kids who come to your shows?

I just try to let them know the support for the scene is really important, you have to support the guy who book the shows in your town, gotta show up at their shows, you also gotta support to both local and touring bands, because in all reality without support from people going to shows, there isn’t a scene.

4- Is there anything in or slowly moving into the scene that you think takes away from the meaning of it? if so what?

Hardcore is not what it used to be, that’s for sure, I think that it has changed a lot and it will never be the same. We’re getting old and all the kids now don’t know what hardcore was years ago, but you know I’m not the best person to talk about the scene, maybe you should ask this question to Earth Crisis! Ahah!!

5- its no secret that being a musician is a struggle and probably even more so in the hardcore scene.
So what keeps you moving and playing music at such hard times?

I had some “non hardcore” projects in the past, I’ve been part of this French Hip Hop/Electro band in the past and things were pretty huge for us here in Quebec but I had to come back to my roots. I felt the need to because hardcore was and still is a part of me. When the boys created the band (Here Comes The Hurricane), I thought it was the right time for me to come back to the hardcore scene. My passion for hardcore and the energy in the scene are the biggest reasons I play in a hardcore band. However, it’s not just my passion that keeps me going, it’s also the people who come to see my band, when I play live, I want to see the crowd getting crazy, the kind of crazy the hardcore/punk/metal scene has to offer.

6- Growing up, what bands did you listen to or go see live that made you want to be a part of what they were doing?

A Death For Every Sin, they were the biggest Hardcore band out here and their shows were out of control!! The first time I saw Converge back in 2001 was one hell of an experience too ahah!!

7- Are there any political problems bothering Here Comes the Hurricane at the moment? If so what? How are they affecting you?

We are not into politics, we don’t wannna change the world but if we could… Right now, as we speak, I would do anything to help Haiti as fast as possible. Even with all the countries around the world are having problems delivering their humanitarian aid to the country, it is important to do your part to help them.

8- Another important question I like to ask is: for the kids who have that dream of playing music, what advice could you give them on how to make it? (through recording, live shows, writing, etc)

First of all, you gotta meet people who would fit in your future project. Being in a band is like running a business, gotta find the right people and gotta work hard for the same reason or goal, then use all the contacts you have and start playing shows here and there. I hate talking about money but its part of business, you need money if you want to record, put a demo out, tour and so on. After all of that, you need good luck! ;)

9- How important is playing live to you? How important is it to keep up an energetic show?

This is the only way we’ll get new fans, if they never heard our music before we’ll have to impress them, but we always play like no ones ever heard about us so… we’ll just try to keep playing live that way!

10- Whats your take on humanity right now? What do you think needs to change to make a positive difference in the world?

Maybe we all should try to learn more about different cultures and religions, so we all can have a common understanding. Racism is one thing everyone needs to work on, because after all, we are all human.

11- What do you think Here Comes the Hurricane has to offer music and the scene?

NOTHING! Just kidding, You know it’s hard to give a solid answer, but we just try to bring a different flavour, we have lot of rock riffs and we turn it into old school hardcore and then a solid metal/hardcore breakdown! We try to bring different types of music and blend it all together…at the end it’s still hardcore!

I like to keep my interviews short and sweet, so that’s it man! If there’s any band
plugs, album plugs, etc. Anything about
your bands you want to throw out there to the readers go ahead!

YO! for those who are impatient to hear our new stuff we’ll hit the studio at the end of April to record 10 Songs, with Antoine Lussier (Emmure, Ion Dissonance) Warning! It’s going to be killer!!

We are also working on alot of shows right now with our good friends from President, so expect to see us real soon through east coast of Canada (Ontario, New Brunswick, Prince-Edward-Island and Newfoundland)

This summer we’ll try to make it into the US, we can’t wait for that!

That’s pretty much that, thank you Ethan for this interview!
And make sure to download our 2 song Demo for free, spread the word!

Visit our MySpace page at Herecomesthehurricane.com
Info and Booking? Info@herecomesthehurricane.com

No comments:

Post a Comment